Ultimately, whether or not to invest in a fund like the Vanguard 500 depends largely on your investment objectives. If you're a week away from retirement or already have considerable stock holdings, you'll want to stay away. That said, if you're looking for a hands-off fund that's well positioned for mid- to long-term gains in 2011, the Vanguard 500 fund may be worth looking at.
To see the fund's top holdings, have a look at the Vanguard 500 Index Fund portfolio on Stockpickr.
-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV