BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- While it's not uncommon to think of "the market" as a single unit, that hasn't always been the case. Even though stock market indices such as the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average have existed for decades, they were once more like sentiment indicators than the investible instruments that they are today.
That all changed when Vanguard founder Jack Bogle came to the realization that few mutual fund managers beat the broad market in the long-term. To combat that, in 1975 Bogle created the Vanguard 500 Index Fund (VFINX), the world's first index fund. Unlike traditional actively managed funds, the Vanguard 500 didn't seek to select the best investments in the world -- instead, it exactly mirrored the well-known S&P 500 index.
Although other fund managers thought that that index funds were a poor idea (the Vanguard 500 fund was originally referred to as "Bogle's Folly" and didn't initially raise enough capital even to buy all 500 of the S&P stocks), the result has been transformational to the investment world. Index funds are now one of the most prevalent mutual fund vehicles out there, and Bogle's once-mocked fund rings in as one of the biggest, with nearly $100 billion under management.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV