Other banks such as Citigroup (C) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) have also said they may charge fees for checking accounts to generate more revenue as regulations such as the Durbin Amendment limit the fees banks can charge on debit-card transactions.
Approximately $11.8 billion of the current $16.2 billion generated in debit fees will disappear from the system as a result of the Durbin Amendment, according to a report by Oliver Wyman.
BofA Employees were told in an internal memo that the bank will start charging fees of roughly $6 a month for a basic account and $8.95 for enhanced accounts. Premium accounts will be charged $25, according to an article by The Wall Street Journal.Fees for the premium accounts can be waived if customers maintain balances of $2,000, have credit cards or have a mortgage with the bank, according to The Washington Post Customers with at least $50,000 in deposits and investments will get priority treatment from the bank including higher interest rates on their savings. Testing of fees on the accounts will begin in Arizona, Georgia and Massachusetts this month. The fees are likely to be rolled out to all branches by the end of this year. --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV