Trident Microsystems Ships 100 Millionth Set-Top Box Chipset Powered By ARM Technology
SUNNYVALE, Calif. and CAMBRIDGE, England, Jan. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Trident Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRID), a leading provider of set-top box and TV semiconductor solutions, and ARM, the processor IP provider for Trident set-top box chipsets, today announced the shipment of the 100 Millionth set-top box (STB) chipset to OEM customers for use in satellite, cable, and IPTV applications.* Trident will be demonstrating the latest innovations on the ARM-based STB SoC platform in a private customer suite in the Wynn Hotel during the International CES show in Las Vegas.
Trident and ARM have collaborated to bring all the key Web 2.0 and broadcast elements on a powerful set-top box (STB) platform that allows consumers to seamlessly view TV programming, run Internet-connected applications, browse websites, and share content anytime and anywhere in the home. This platform not only delivers an immersive and interactive home multimedia experience, but also allows developers and operators to target their content package offering and services to maximize ARPU and advertising revenue.
"Trident has been partnering with leaders such as ARM to develop all the building blocks that customers need for the next generation connected set-top boxes," said Mark Samuel, General Manager for Trident's set-top box business. "Our goal is to drive the next generation of features on the TV and set-top box and the shipment of our 100 millionth chip validates our success in the industry."
"ARM and Trident are defining the compelling features and user interfaces that consumers around the world will have on their set-top box platforms," said Jim Wallace, Director for Home Segment at ARM. "In addition, with Trident's leading position in DTV chipsets, we believe its Set Top Box SoC, based on ARM's Cortex-A family, will be a key driver in the connected home of the future where all devices work seamlessly together."About the Trident ARM-based Processor STB Platform The Trident ARM-based solution provides system developers with the most comprehensive platform to create end products for next generation Internet-connected STB applications. Trident has optimized its industry-first, ARM-based, 45nm broadcast integrated SoC family, PNX8400, to take advantage of the high-performance ARM® Cortex™-A9 processor. Trident has created an extensive ecosystem around the PNX8400 family, drawing from key software elements within the ARM Connected Community. These are central to a connected experience across consumer electronics products, from mobile phones and tablets to DTVs. Key software elements include:
- Adobe™ Flash ® Player 10.1 from Adobe Systems, whose ActionScript 3.0 engine has been optimized on the ARM Cortex class of application processors.
- Qt4.7/WebKit, which runs on the Trident STB (Cortex-A9 processor based) platform, and provides a consistent user experience from mobile to home. Qt includes browser and widgets functionalities, which run on top of QtWebKit, and extensive performance optimization work has been done for Qt running on ARM architectures.
- HTML5, a new Web 2.0 standard that incorporates features like video playback, has also been optimized for ARM processors and will be a key element for next generation Web-type services.
- DTCP-IP, under whose specification, digital content can be shared securely in a consumer's home
- DLNA Certified ®1.5 Media Renderer for connecting to other customer's consumer electronic equipment in the home for the sharing of content.
- GStreamer demux infrastructure allowing for handling of media handling components such as video and audio playback of streamed digital content.
- The Google Android™ operating system, designed for the ARM architecture and including an ARM Native Development Kit (NDK), ARM targeted JIT as part of the Dalvik Java application framework and support for the Adobe Flash Player 10.1 web plugin.
- Linaro™, a not-for profit company, focuses on the lower software layers and provides the best tools and Linux development experience on ARM processors, quickening the time to market for Linux based distributions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV