Jan. 6, 2011
/PRNewswire/ -- Trident Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRID), a leading provider of set-top box and TV semiconductor solutions, today announced another major milestone in its ongoing mission to deliver a truly extended connected home where any content can be enjoyed on any display, from any device at any time. As part of this effort, the company has partnered with leading online services such as Flingo, RoxioNow, Pandora, Rovi™, and VUDU to bring their connected online services onto mainstream digital TVs and exciting new Cinema TVs.
Unlike competitive solutions that integrate online services, Trident has designed its DTV platform with an open modular software architecture that allows the customer to easily add the online services that they want on their television product lines. This enables customers to get to market quickly with rich, connected TVs that offer consumers the most popular and useful online services simply with a click of their TV remote control.
"Trident's open and flexible software architecture brings the Connected TV to a whole new level by enabling customers to quickly and easy deliver online services so that consumers have access to movies, news, sport, weather reports, and more right from their television," said Christos Lagomichos, president of Trident Microsystems. "As the world's number one provider of DTV solutions, Trident is in a unique position to drive these exciting new capabilities into the home and this is another example of how we are delivering a complete platform solution."
The Exciting Apps Being Added to the Trident DTV Platform
Below is a description of some of the exciting capabilities that Trident is bringing to mainstream TVs.
- Flingo Synch Apps - make TV watching more fun and engaging through a new level of interactivity with TV programming. Flingo is one of the world's largest publishers of Connected TV Apps for Media companies such as CBS, Fox, Warner Bros, TV Guide, and MTV Networks on platforms from Samsung, Vizio, LG and Google TV. Flingo's Sync Apps technology enables consumers to interact with applications synchronized with the show they are watching through broadcast television.
- VUDU Apps and VUDU Movie Service - enables Trident customers to offer TVs that provide access to VUDU's more than 100 applications, ranging from news providers and popular Internet services to more than 4,000 HD movies.
- Pandora - gives people music they love anytime, anywhere, through connected devices. Personalized stations launch instantly with the input of a single "seed" -- a favorite artist, song or genre. The Trident implementation of Pandora enables signature personalization features of Pandora, like station creation, thumbs-up and thumbs-down, and bookmarking.
- RoxioNow - provides instant access to a broad range of premium entertainment, including new movies and next-day TV programs. Sonic's RoxioNow allows Trident customers to rapidly deploy retailer-branded storefronts that offer consumers a convenient way to enjoy their favorite entertainment when and where they choose.
- Rovi TotalGuide - for simple, centralized and intuitive access to multiple content types: broadcast, premium, Internet-based and personal. In addition, TotalGuide enhances the consumer experience through rich TV listings, enhanced data and imagery, as well as extended multimedia.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and is subject to the safe harbor created by those sections. These forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the integration of various connected services to Trident's DTV platform. Investors are cautioned that any such forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks and uncertainties, and there are important factors that could cause Trident's actual results to differ materially from those in the forward looking statements. These risks include, without limitation, that not all consumers will not have access to leading web services; that not all TV manufacturers will achieve the anticipated results; that other TV manufactures may also deliver a complete platform solution; that other manufactures may release similar products that may offer similar attributes and that the business relationship between Trident and these service providers may not persist. The forward-looking statements included in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release; Trident does not undertake any obligation to publicly revise or update any such forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the statement was made. Investors are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. Additional information concerning factors that could cause results to differ can be found in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Company's most recently filed Reports on Form 8-K, Form 10-K and Form 10-Q, which are available at
About Trident Microsystems, Inc.
Trident Microsystems, Inc., with headquarters in
, is a leading force in the digital home entertainment market, delivering an extensive range of platform solutions that enhance the consumer experience in the Connected Home. As one of the top-three semiconductor providers to both the TV and set-top box markets, Trident's solutions can be found in the products of leading OEMs and channel partners worldwide. The company's extensive IP portfolio of more than 2,000 patents has been driving key innovations in image quality, 3D TV, low power consumption, and 45nm designs. For further information about Trident and its products, please consult the Company's web site:
NOTE: Trident and the Trident logo are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Trident Microsystems in
the United States
and /or other countries. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners.
SOURCE Trident Microsystems, Inc.