SUNNYVALE, Calif., Jan. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Trident Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq: TRID), a leading provider of set-top box and TV semiconductor solutions, today announced another major milestone in its ongoing mission to deliver a truly extended connected home where any content can be enjoyed on any display, from any device at any time. As part of this effort, the company has partnered with leading online services such as Flingo, RoxioNow, Pandora, Rovi™, and VUDU to bring their connected online services onto mainstream digital TVs and exciting new Cinema TVs.
Unlike competitive solutions that integrate online services, Trident has designed its DTV platform with an open modular software architecture that allows the customer to easily add the online services that they want on their television product lines. This enables customers to get to market quickly with rich, connected TVs that offer consumers the most popular and useful online services simply with a click of their TV remote control.
"Trident's open and flexible software architecture brings the Connected TV to a whole new level by enabling customers to quickly and easy deliver online services so that consumers have access to movies, news, sport, weather reports, and more right from their television," said Christos Lagomichos, president of Trident Microsystems. "As the world's number one provider of DTV solutions, Trident is in a unique position to drive these exciting new capabilities into the home and this is another example of how we are delivering a complete platform solution."
The Exciting Apps Being Added to the Trident DTV PlatformBelow is a description of some of the exciting capabilities that Trident is bringing to mainstream TVs.
- Flingo Synch Apps - make TV watching more fun and engaging through a new level of interactivity with TV programming. Flingo is one of the world's largest publishers of Connected TV Apps for Media companies such as CBS, Fox, Warner Bros, TV Guide, and MTV Networks on platforms from Samsung, Vizio, LG and Google TV. Flingo's Sync Apps technology enables consumers to interact with applications synchronized with the show they are watching through broadcast television.
- VUDU Apps and VUDU Movie Service - enables Trident customers to offer TVs that provide access to VUDU's more than 100 applications, ranging from news providers and popular Internet services to more than 4,000 HD movies.
- Pandora - gives people music they love anytime, anywhere, through connected devices. Personalized stations launch instantly with the input of a single "seed" -- a favorite artist, song or genre. The Trident implementation of Pandora enables signature personalization features of Pandora, like station creation, thumbs-up and thumbs-down, and bookmarking.
- RoxioNow - provides instant access to a broad range of premium entertainment, including new movies and next-day TV programs. Sonic's RoxioNow allows Trident customers to rapidly deploy retailer-branded storefronts that offer consumers a convenient way to enjoy their favorite entertainment when and where they choose.
- Rovi TotalGuide - for simple, centralized and intuitive access to multiple content types: broadcast, premium, Internet-based and personal. In addition, TotalGuide enhances the consumer experience through rich TV listings, enhanced data and imagery, as well as extended multimedia.