Penford Reports First Quarter Fiscal 2011 Financial Results
Penford Corporation (Nasdaq: PENX), a leader in renewable ingredient systems for industrial and food applications, today reported that consolidated sales for the quarter ended November 30, 2010 were $72.3 million compared with $67.1 million a year ago. Net income from continuing operations was $0.3 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, for the quarter ended November 30, 2010 compared to net income from continuing operations of $1.1 million, or $0.09 per diluted share last year.
A table summarizing first quarter fiscal 2011 financial results is shown below:
|Penford Corporation – Financial Highlights|
|(In thousands except per share data)||Q1 FY11||Q1 FY10||4Q FY10|
|Operating income (loss)||142||2,154||(5,098||)|
|Operating income (loss)||2,969||3,142||(2,796||)|
|Net income (loss) from continuing operations||336||1,056||(3,126||)|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share – continuing operations||$||0.03||$||0.09||$||(0.26||)|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share – discontinued operations||-||0.31||-|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share||$||0.03||$||0.40||$||(0.26||)|
Food Ingredients Results
- Food Ingredients first quarter sales expanded 9% from the prior year on volume gains and product mix improvements. Sales of non-coating applications, which contributed over 50% of first quarter revenues, expanded by 20% from last year.
- New business in dairy, pet and gluten-free bakery products contributed the majority of revenue growth.
- Gross margin improved from last year as unit raw material costs fell more than 10% and higher plant throughput reduced manufacturing costs. Operating income increased by 34% from a year ago.
Industrial Ingredients Results
- Industrial Ingredient first quarter revenue of $53.9 million increased 7% from a year ago despite lower prices for paper starches. Sales of the Company’s specialty Liquid Natural Additive applications grew by over 10% in the quarter.
- Sales of ethanol in the first quarter of fiscal 2011 increased 37% to $24.6 million from $18.0 million a year ago on double-digit growth in both volume and average unit pricing. Ethanol sales represent 46% of the total industrial segment.
- Penford continues to introduce new applications that offer sustainable alternatives for petroleum-derived materials. The Company recently announced that is conducting trials with major producers of food packaging materials for a novel technology to replace fluorochemicals used in food wraps and other packaging applications.
- Gross margin and operating income were $2.0 million below the prior year. Depressed paper starch prices and higher costs for raw materials outpaced sales gains as well as improvements in manufacturing costs and plant efficiencies.
- Segment operating income increased $5.2 million sequentially from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010 on improved results from ethanol operations and stronger sales of industrial starches.
- Consolidated operating income of $3.0 million for the first quarter fiscal 2011 rose $5.8 million over the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010 and $7.1 million over the third quarter of fiscal 2010. Consolidated first quarter 2011 sales grew 8% and operating expenses decreased $1.3 million compared with the first quarter of fiscal 2010.
- Interest expense, which includes dividends on preferred stock, was $2.3 million compared with $1.8 million last year.
- The effective tax rate for the first quarter was 57%. Dividends on the Company’s preferred stock, which are recorded as interest expense, are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.
- Cash provided by operations in the first quarter of 2011 was $4.7 million.
- Bank loan facility debt outstanding was reduced by $2.0 to $16.9 million at November 30, 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV