Penford Reports First Quarter Fiscal 2011 Financial Results
Penford Corporation (Nasdaq: PENX), a leader in renewable ingredient systems for industrial and food applications, today reported that consolidated sales for the quarter ended November 30, 2010 were $72.3 million compared with $67.1 million a year ago. Net income from continuing operations was $0.3 million, or $0.03 per diluted share, for the quarter ended November 30, 2010 compared to net income from continuing operations of $1.1 million, or $0.09 per diluted share last year.
A table summarizing first quarter fiscal 2011 financial results is shown below:
|Penford Corporation – Financial Highlights|
|(In thousands except per share data)||Q1 FY11||Q1 FY10||4Q FY10|
|Operating income (loss)||142||2,154||(5,098||)|
|Operating income (loss)||2,969||3,142||(2,796||)|
|Net income (loss) from continuing operations||336||1,056||(3,126||)|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share – continuing operations||$||0.03||$||0.09||$||(0.26||)|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share – discontinued operations||-||0.31||-|
|Diluted earnings (loss) per share||$||0.03||$||0.40||$||(0.26||)|
Food Ingredients Results
- Food Ingredients first quarter sales expanded 9% from the prior year on volume gains and product mix improvements. Sales of non-coating applications, which contributed over 50% of first quarter revenues, expanded by 20% from last year.
- New business in dairy, pet and gluten-free bakery products contributed the majority of revenue growth.
- Gross margin improved from last year as unit raw material costs fell more than 10% and higher plant throughput reduced manufacturing costs. Operating income increased by 34% from a year ago.
Industrial Ingredients Results
- Industrial Ingredient first quarter revenue of $53.9 million increased 7% from a year ago despite lower prices for paper starches. Sales of the Company’s specialty Liquid Natural Additive applications grew by over 10% in the quarter.
- Sales of ethanol in the first quarter of fiscal 2011 increased 37% to $24.6 million from $18.0 million a year ago on double-digit growth in both volume and average unit pricing. Ethanol sales represent 46% of the total industrial segment.
- Penford continues to introduce new applications that offer sustainable alternatives for petroleum-derived materials. The Company recently announced that is conducting trials with major producers of food packaging materials for a novel technology to replace fluorochemicals used in food wraps and other packaging applications.
- Gross margin and operating income were $2.0 million below the prior year. Depressed paper starch prices and higher costs for raw materials outpaced sales gains as well as improvements in manufacturing costs and plant efficiencies.
- Segment operating income increased $5.2 million sequentially from the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010 on improved results from ethanol operations and stronger sales of industrial starches.
- Consolidated operating income of $3.0 million for the first quarter fiscal 2011 rose $5.8 million over the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010 and $7.1 million over the third quarter of fiscal 2010. Consolidated first quarter 2011 sales grew 8% and operating expenses decreased $1.3 million compared with the first quarter of fiscal 2010.
- Interest expense, which includes dividends on preferred stock, was $2.3 million compared with $1.8 million last year.
- The effective tax rate for the first quarter was 57%. Dividends on the Company’s preferred stock, which are recorded as interest expense, are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.
- Cash provided by operations in the first quarter of 2011 was $4.7 million.
- Bank loan facility debt outstanding was reduced by $2.0 to $16.9 million at November 30, 2010.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.