Last year, consumer deals and retail deals lead private equity investments, generating $1.9 billion. While consumer will remain a hot sector for 2011, Harris says that there will be a rise in technology, healthcare and energy investments as well. The financial sector will also produce more opportunities for private equity to be involved.
"Any time you see volatility and recovery there are opportunities and you see that clearly in the financial sector," said Harris.
"We are bullish on the financial sector from a corporate perspective. We can take advantage of the fundamental trends right now. In terms of lending to the financial sector, that is touchy. There will be more activity though in the sector than last year. You have seen some movement with TD (TD) buying Chrysler Financial," said Schwimmer.
"2009 and 2010 were years where PE investors were looking for hidden gems in the wreckage of the mortgage collapse, seeking opportunities to buy good banking franchises with assistance from the FDIC," says Brette Simon, a M&A partner at Jones Day in Los Angeles, specializing in private equity. "These deals will continue to happen, but as financial institutions and finance companies recover, expect healthy company M&A to return to the financial sector. "--Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV