NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Deutsche Bank (DB) analysts released their U.S. large cap bank picks for 2011, adding that some fourth quarter surprises will cause bank stocks to initally outperform the broader market.
"In October, we became more positive on banks low economic expectations, stabilizing loan balances, potential capital deployment opportunities in
Investors should not expect dirt cheap bank stocks this year, the analysts argue, adding many are trading at 14 times 2011 estimates or 12 times 2010 estimates.
The analysts believe a number of factors are pushing up bank stock valuations, including an active M&A environment."The recent acquisition of MI (MI) was done at a 35% premium--which can be viewed as a positive read-through for other regionals and we believe additional deals seem likely. Other potential sellers in a consolidating market are FHN (FHN) , RF (RF) and TCB (TCB). Potential acquirers are likely to be BBT (BBT) , FITB (FITB), JPM (JPM), PNC (PNC) and USB (USB)," the analysts wrote in their note. Of course not everything is rosy in 2011. The analysts suggest that regulatory reform will still weigh on the sector, especially uncertainty surrounding the impact on bank revenue and the future of the GSE mortgage industry. There could also be $1.5 trillion to $2 trillion in residential real estate losses next year. But with these factors in mind, here are Deutsche Bank's top three bank stock picks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV