Qiao Xing, China Shen Zhou: Chinese Rare-Earth Winners
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Although better-than-expected economic data was bolstering the U.S. dollar and luring investors away from commodities, Chinese-based rare-earth plays continued to gather steam.
Overall, rare-earth metals were trading in mixed territory.Qiao Xing Universal Resources (XING) has shot up 20.2% to $3.56 after the company said it purchased a 34.5% interest in copper-molybdenum miner Chifeng Aolunhua Mining for $28 million. Another China rare-earth play followed China Shen Zhou Mining & Resources (SHZ) with a jump of its own, up 3.6% to $10.15. Titanium Metals (TIE) is up 1.9% to $17. According to Reuters, rare earth stocks outside China have spiked since Dec. 29, coinciding around the time China said it would cap rare earth exports by 35% for the first half of 2011 vs. the same time a year ago. Shares of Molycorp (MCP) have fallen 1.6% to $60.80. Earlier this week the stock had popped after Dahlman Rose lifted its price target on Molycorp to $85 a share from $49, explaining that the Chinese tightening of rare-earth exports should help boost the prices of these materials, and that Molycorp's joint ventures should be beneficial to the company and its shareholders in the long run. RealMoney.com contributor and CEO of Shark Asset Management Rev Shark says money moving out the various commodity groups are heading into financials and technology. As for Shark, he continues to aggressively trade rare earth stocks such as a Avalon Rare Metals (AVL), up 1.2% to $7.39; Qiao Xing Universal Resources; and China Shen Zhou Mining and Resources; "but they are becoming increasingly choppy lately."
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV