J.Crew Attracts Unlikely Bidders?
Bloomberg reported on Wednesday that the two retailers are eyeing the company, citing anonymous sources close to the matter.
Whatever the claims, the actual probability of either of these companies buying J.Crew is very low, according to analysts, who say the report is "absolutely ridiculous."
"[CEO Mickey] Drexler would be out the door if Sears picked up the company," Wall Street Strategies analyst Brian Sozzi says.While Urban Outfitters has said in the past that it is open to making acquisitions, it is looking for smaller concepts to add to its portfolio, Needham analyst Christine Chen says. "Size wise it would be too big and J.Crew is a direct competitors with a lower growth concept," she said. Nonetheless, shares of J.Crew are gaining 3.3% to $44.48 on the news. J.Crew received a buyout offer of $3 billion from TPG Capital and Leonard Green. Any other bidders who want to throw their hat in the ring have until Jan. 15 to make an offer. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV