A beefed-up Internet/cable TV box could also significantly strengthen Cisco's attempts to tap the home video market, potentially spelling good news for investors who were dismayed by Cisco's recent less-than-stellar first-quarter results.
With markets already saturated with networking gear, Cisco's video push shows that the company is looking for new and lucrative revenue streams. Last year, for example, Cisco unveiled its Umi home telepresence system, which aims to transform TVs into live-chat and video-making stations.
Cisco also spent $590 million to acquire Flip camera maker Pure Digital in 2009, and has subsequently sold more than 3 million of the devices. The company will join the tablet fray later this year with the launch of its Cius business tablet, which will combine high-definition voice and video with telepresence.
Cisco is also hoping that entering these new markets will boost demand for its switches and routers through video. The tech giant, for example, estimates that every dollar spent on its video technology drives $5 worth of networking sales.--Written by James Rogers in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jamesjrogers. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV