Is Borders Bankruptcy Bound?
Barnes & Noble put itself up for sale in August, and in December, hedge fund manager William Ackman, who owns a 37% stake in Borders, said he was prepared to back a cash merger deal. Ackman proposed Borders purchasing Barnes & Noble for $16 a share.
"People who say the two shouldn't merge aren't looking at the whole picture," McTevia says. "If a merger doesn't take place it leaves two giant companies out there trying to compete in an industry that is going through major changes."
Given all of this, do you think Borders is bankruptcy bound or will it manage to turnaround its ailing business? Take our poll below to see what the consensus of
--Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV