The department store said on Tuesday that its online sales have surged 29% during the first 10 months of 2010.
These new jobs will be realized over the next two years, and overall Macy's plans to add 3,500 jobs when including full-time, part-time and seasonal help.
The company previously announced it is building a new $150 million online fulfillment center near Martinsburg, W. Va., and will hire 1,900 full- and part-time employees. Macy's is also expanding a fulfillment center near Portland, Tenn.The new year has already set an optimistic tone for hiring in the retail sector, with Dollar General (DG) announcing on Monday that it will open 625 new stores in 2011 and create 6,000 jobs. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV