Crunching the Costs of New Year's Resolutions
Meet someone/get married
This is a resolution fraught with all sorts of peril, as relationships are seldom as simple as plucking someone off of a shopping list, but that doesn't mean people who make it won't try.
The online dating industry was built seemingly with this resolution in mind, as dating sites such as Match, eHarmony and Lavalife charge between $35 and $60 a month -- less for long-term memberships -- to pair singles up with their supposedly perfect someone. Laugh if you must, Mr. or Ms. organic dater, but at least the folks on these dating sites are trying to shave the odds in their favor somewhat.
According to Ian Stanczyk of the Book of Odds site, the average single is paying $250 or more per date when playing the aggressor in his or her courting process. By his calculations, this yields a 1-in-6 chance of sex -- never mind marriage -- that could result in $1,500 in dinners and movies before the cash-wielding courter is even invited upstairs for drinks.This would normally be the part where we'd enumerate wedding costs but, if this is really what the dating public is considering when seeking a mate, that would be getting a few continents ahead of ourselves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV