Crunching the Costs of New Year's Resolutions
Oddly, this is the resolution that's supposed to save consumers money by kicking their per-pack habit. According for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Americans spent roughly $84 million on cigarettes in 2006 alone. Last year, the American smokers paid $4.80 a pack on average, which is roughly $1,750 on a pack-a-day habit that doesn't include the $1.01 federal cigarette tax and an average of $1.44 in state cigarette taxes.
Unless you're quitting cold turkey or using free support systems such as Web and phone counseling or classes and 12-step programs, costs can run from $200 to $300 for nicotine patches and medication to nearly $3,000 for therapy or nicotine inhalers. Some health care plans cover this and, though uncovered solutions are monetarily costlier than the habit itself, the CDC says the 13 to 14 years of life that nonsmokers have over smokers -- on average -- is worth the investment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV