Crunching the Costs of New Year's Resolutions
Get in shape
You know that guy in the tracksuit who nearly knocked you over as you got the mail this morning, then bent over winded half a block later? Woman in spandex on the Schwinn who held up evening rush pedaling home from work last night? Not only weren't they there a week ago, but they'll likely be taking up your space on the elliptical machine or treadmill once you get to your local Town Sports (CLUB) or Life Time Fitness (LTM).
In a surprise to no one, 16% of Marist Poll respondents who planned to make a New Year's resolution this year wanted to lose weight -- placing fitness first among all resolutions. According to The International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association, a health club industry group, the recent economic downturn has made this a really good time to join a gym. In 2009 -- the last year for which statistics were available -- 45 million health club members nationwide paid an average of $41.47 a month (or just less than $500 a year) in gym fees, down from $42.55 a month in 2008. Meanwhile, gym members were sneaking in more average visits -- 101 in 2008 to 102 in 2009 -- while trying to squeeze more value out of their New Year's vow.
"Due to less discretionary income, consumers now expect to pay a bit less for their memberships, but they tend to use them more -- in short, they want more bang for their buck," Melissa Rodriguez, IHRSA's Research Manager, said in a statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV