Crunching the Costs of New Year's Resolutions
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- New Year's resolutions are made to be broken, not to leave the resolved broke.
While there's laudable merit to the actions of 44% of Americans who told the Marist Institute for Public Opinion they'd make a resolution this year, that's down from 48% last year. There's also that 40% of respondents who bailed on their resolutions last year after only 35% didn't come through in 2009. Having the time and energy to invest in such self-help pursuits helps -- as evidenced by the 47% of households with children that nixed their resolutions, compared with 32% of their childless counterparts -- but being able to commit some extra cash to the cause doesn't hurt, either.
TheStreet took a look at eight recurring New Year's resolutions and rang up the costs behind ringing in 2011 in happier, healthier fashion. The goals may be different, but one element of each of these personal promises never changes: They're going to cost you:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV