Illustrated by video game consoles like Sony's (SNE)- Playstation 360 and Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox that let consumers connect and play games with their friends online, social media is "integrated tightly" within connected devices, said Jeremiah Owyang, an industry analyst at Altimeter Group.
At this year's CES, analysts expect to see more connected devices with social media capabilities, from home appliances to cars.
Ford (F), whose Sync system already allows drivers to operate their phones hands-free and use voice-controlled versions of digital navigation technology and Pandora, is expected to announce even more social media-equipped initiatives. (This will be Ford CEO Alan Mulally's third year delivering a keynote at CES.)"You have these experiences on the go and want to be able to share them in real time with people who matter to do -- this is starting to infiltrate all types of electronics," eMarketer's Elkin said. Mobile Applications And of course, with the bevy of powerful new smartphones and tablets expected to be announced at CES, the availability of quality, mobile apps -- which are increasingly seen as an important factor in a consumer's phone-buying decision -- will grow. Mobile apps, particularly those with features that allow users to share their location and buying preferences with friends, provide valuable information for marketers looking to understand their consumers likes and needs. CES will feature sessions that concentrate on issues that impact app developers as well as brands and marketers. For example, a session called "The Apps: The Smartphone and Tablet" on Jan. 5 will feature a discussion from execs at Adobe (ADBE) and MTV about how they're using apps to target consumers. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV