CES Preview: Tablet Deluge
Microsoft's response and Goldman Sachs' Motorola estimate have been added to this story.
(Stay tuned to TheStreet for live coverage of CES.)
The Year of Android "There will be a lot of products launched on Android," Jayson Noland, an analyst at Robert W. Baird, told The Street, adding that Google's operating system has been gaining great momentum. A recent Nielsen report showed that while Apple's iOS holds the most market share for smartphones, over the past six months, 40% of consumers buying handsets bought Android-powered ones. Newly spun off as a separate entity, Motorola's (MMI) cell phone business, now called Motorola Mobility, will take center stage at CES Wednesday with a press conference that will likely mark the debut of its Droid Xoom The device is expected to run Honeycomb, the latest tablet version of Android, as well as a Tegra 2 graphics processor from Nvidia (NVDA). The Xoom will reportedly offer both front and rear cameras, although Motorola wouldn't comment when contacted by TheStreet. Goldman Sachs analyst Simona Jankowski expects that Motorola's Android-based tablet will make it onto the market sometime this year. In a note released earlier this week Jankowski estimates that Motorola could ship 1 million of the tablets in 2011, a figure which could grow to 4.5 million by 2013. Toshiba and Lenovo are also expected to debut Android tablets, with Toshiba rumored to have readied a 10-inch Honeycomb version. Dell (DELL) could also unveil the successor to its Streak mini-tablet, a smallish 7-inch Android device with T-Mobile. "At this point we don't have any comment to provide for unannounced products," said a Dell spokesman in an email.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV