Universal American shareholders are expected to receive about $12.80 to $13 per share in cash from the acquisition, according to a press release.
CVS shares were down 10 cents at $34.90, and Universal American shares were up $5.79 at $20.40 on the deal.
The deal will more than double the size of CVS Caremark's Medicare Part D program to over 3 million members, according to a company press release. The deal is expected to be a beneficial move for CVS as baby boomers are coming of retirement age and are likely to receive their prescription drug coverage under Medicare plans as health care reform takes place. Medicare Part D is a federal program that subsidizes the prescription drug costs of the program's participants.CVS said the the deal will be accretive to earnings per share in its first full year. The acquisition is expected to close by the end of the second quarter. --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV