ETF to Dump No. 3: iShares MSCI EAFE (EFA)
If SPY is the granddaddy of all ETFs, then the iShares MSCI EAFE (EFA) is certainly the standard-bearer for international investing. Unfortunately, EFA is based on a seriously flawed benchmark.
The MSCI Europe, Australasia and Far East (EAFE) Index is thought to cover the world's equity markets outside the U.S. In fact, it does nothing of the sort!For one thing, the EAFE overlooks Canada -- the third largest non-U.S. market in the world. Furthermore, the EAFE has zero allocation to emerging markets like China. All told, the EAFE Index and EFA cover less than 70 percent of the non-U.S. markets. If you want complete international exposure with just one ETF, I think you are better off with Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-U.S (VEU).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV