ETF to Dump No. 1: SPDR S&P 500 (SPY)
The time has come to sell the SPDR S&P 500 (SPY), the granddaddy of all ETFs, even though it may be the most liquid and heavily traded security in the world.
Two other ETFs track the same index as SPY: iShares S&P 500 (IVV) and Vanguard S&P 500 (VOO). Are they any different? Yes, they are. Assuming you want to be in the S&P 500, here are three reasons to avoid SPY.At 0.09%, SPY's expense ratio is 50% higher than VOO, which charges only 0.06%. Vanguard is rarely undersold on fees! VOO can be traded commission-free at Vanguard's brokerage arm, while IVV has no transaction fee for Fidelity customers. Currently, no major brokerage firm offers a fee-free trading program for SPY. The real kicker is dividend payments. Few investors realize it, but SPY can take more than a month to deliver your quarterly dividend check. IVV and VOO both manage to pay out dividends in a week or less. If you are a daytrader, the liquidity of SPY may outweigh these negatives, but for most investors VOO and IVV are better choices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV