Health diagnostics firm Alere (ALR) has done a good job of rebounding since the company's name change from Inverness Medical this summer. But while shares are up 37% since July, the stock is still dealing with double-digit losses on the whole year. Alere's short ratio currently stands at 11.1.
By integrating its medical diagnostic devices with health management programs, Alere is tapping an attractive niche as demand for medical products moves higher alongside the aging population in the U.S. While the company has been able to regain its profitability in the latest quarter and full year, that move has been tentative at best in 2010.Investors will want to see management sustain stronger operations before they'll be willing to bid share prices up. That said, with an attractive product and reasonable financial health, this stock should have rebound power in 2011... That's the hope of major shareholders, like Seth Klarman's Baupost Group. In addition to Alere, Klarman and company also own major stakes in ViaSat (VSAT) and News Corporation (NWSA). Other holders of the stock include David Dreman and Private Capital Management.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV