NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stock futures pointed to a slightly weaker open on Friday, the final trading day of the year, as market-watchers anticipated that the strong December rally would keep the major U.S. indices on track to post double-digit gains for 2010.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were down by 17 points, or 3 points below fair value, at 11,505. Futures for the S&P 500 were 2 points lower, or nearly a point below fair value, at 1253, and Nasdaq futures were off by 2 points, or nearly 2 points below fair value.
Stocks dipped Thursday despite a steep drop in initial jobless claims as investors sought to milk profits from better-than-expected economic news.Hong Kong's Hang Seng jumped 1.8% and Japan's Nikkei was closed. The FTSE in London, where exchanges will finish the year with a shortened session, was down 0.6% while the DAX in Frankfurt was closed. With no economic releases scheduled for Friday's session, a day before the new year, trading volumes are expected to be particularly light.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV