MBIA shares rose 76 cents at $11.12 on the news.
"This is obviously a good step forward, but there are another 15 plaintiffs that, at the moment, intend to pursue the lawsuit," said Morningstar analyst Jim Ryan.
The lawsuit by the banks opposed MBIA's restructuring, which include plans to create a new company called National Public Finance Guaranty Corp. that would be capitalized with $5 billion in assets and ready to write new business. The remaining MBIA assets would then be left a questionable amount of capital to cover guarantees, the banks' lawsuit argued.Currently, only one of MBIA's competitor's, Assured Guaranty (AGO) is writing new business. "Until they can start writing new business, we don't see much new outlook for them," said Ryan."There are still several lawsuits against them and there is the question about how much they will get back from the putbacks." The move by JPMorgan and Barclays could set a precedent for other banks to drop their lawsuits preventing MBIA's reorganization. The court documents, which can be found on the insurer's website, show that other plaintiffs in the case include Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS), BNP Paribas (BNP), Citibank (C), HSBC (BCS), Credit Agricole (ACA), Merrill Lynch, Bank of America (BAC), Morgan Stanley (MS), Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), Societe Generale> (GLE), Wachovia, UBS (UBS) among others. For more on the future of MBIA and the monolines check out, "Monolines: The End Of The World As We Know It." --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV