4. China Southern Airlines (ZNH) is engaged in providing commercial airline services in China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, Southeast Asia and other parts of the world.
On a year-to-date basis, the airline, with the largest fleet size and highest passenger traffic volumes in China, has accumulated 87.1%, touching 52-week highs in October. In comparison, China Southern's U.S. counterparts Delta Airlines (DAL) and Southwest Airlines (LUV) gained 9.7% and 14.4%, respectively, on a year-to-date basis.
During the first 11 months of 2010, passenger throughput increased 16% year-over-year to 70.51 million, passenger load factor was up by 3.8%, cargo and mail throughput escalated 31.6%. For the third quarter, China Southern's net profit jumped almost 10-fold, benefiting from the recovery in the global travel industry and a strong yuan. During the year, the carrier ordered 20 C919 aircrafts, which will be manufactured in China, six A330s, 30 A320s from Airbus and 10 737s from Boeing (BA). Of the total aircraft ordered, six A330s will be delivered between 2013 and 2014, while the 30 A320s are scheduled for delivery between 2012 and 2015. Besides, China Southern will be the first Chinese airline to fly Boeing's 787 Dreamliner, which will further improve its competitiveness. Boeing said it would deliver the aircraft in the middle of first-quarter 2011. Earlier in March, the company had planned to raise almost $1.6 billion from a discounted private share issue for which it received regulatory approval in August.Looking ahead, the airline is seeking to expand its international routes from the current 15% to 30% in the upcoming three years. Moreover, China Southern has announced it will be flying to New Zealand with a thrice-a-week frequency starting April 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV