9. CNOOC (CEO) is an investment holding company engaged in the exploration, development, production and sale of crude oil, natural gas and other petroleum products.
On a year-to-date basis, the company gained 49.9%, touching 52-week highs in December. In comparison, counterparts BP (BP) lost 23.9%. PetroChina (PTR) and China Petroleum & Chemical (SNP) gained 6% and 5.2%, respectively, on a year-to-date basis.
For the third quarter, net production zoomed 48.8% year-over-year, while revenue surged 63.8%, driven by higher realized oil prices. During October, CNOOC acquired a 33.3% stake in Chesapeake Energy's (CHK) Eagle Ford project, for $1.08 billion. During December, the company signed a deal with the Brisbane-based oil and gas exploration company, Exoma Energy, for selling a 50% interest in its gas exploration permits in Queensland's Galilee Basin. CNOOC also has the option to acquire 86.6 million ordinary Exoma shares at 31.1 cents per share and an additional option to acquire ordinary shares, expiring Dec. 31, 2012. As per the company statistics, for the first time, the CNOOC Group recorded annual output exceeding 50 million metric tonnes of oil and gas equivalent.For full-year 2010, the company estimates production to range between 275 million to 290 million barrels of oil equivalent, up 21%-28% year-over-year. As the South China Sea offers great potential, the company expects to strengthen its deepwater exploration and develop the region's abundant resources. During May 2010, the company announced a $439 million private equity fund along with General Electric (GE), with each partner holding a 50% stake. The investment would be used for financing projects in several sectors including domestic and global energy projects.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV