NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As 2010 ends, the U.S. economy remains battered and the European debt crisis continues. It was a strong year, however, for Emerging Market Economies - China, India, Brazil, Russia and Indonesia. EMEs are growing in importance; the voting power of these economies at international financial forums widened by 3%-7% in 2010. Furthermore, in 2011, EMEs are likely to have a greater say in UN bodies such as G-20 and APEC. Notably, in 2009, China surpassed the U.S. as the largest automobile market, and Germany as the largest exporter.
Even as China prepares to deploy more monetary weapons to tackle rising inflation, the Shanghai Composite slumped 16.1% during the past year. Brazil's Bovespa edged 0.8% lower. However, India's Nifty rose 16.5% on a year-to-date basis. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 and Dow Jones posted 12.9% and 11% increases, respectively.
A few emerging market ADRs generated lucrative returns for investors during the past year. We present 10 such stocks, which gained more than 45% on a year-to-date basis and have a market capitalization of more than $2 billion. The stocks are stacked based on gains, great to greatest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV