WASHINGTON ( TheStreet) -- The U.S Treasury Department announced on Wednesday that six more banks had repaid the government bailout money received through the Troubled Assets Relief Program, or TARP.
The six banks paid the government a total of $626 million. The Treasury also said that out of $389 billion disbursed through TARP, the government had received repayments of $235 billion plus dividends and other payments totaling $35 billion, for a grand total of $270 billion.
Banks repaying the government on Wednesday included:
- East West Bancorp (EWBC) of Pasadena, Calif. exited TARP by fully repaying the government $306.5 million plus dividends of $1.9 million.
- Webster Financial (WBS) of Waterbury, Conn. completed its TARP repayment by redeeming the $200 million in remaining preferred shares held by the government, plus dividends of $1.2 million. The company had previously repaid $100 million in march and another $100 million in October.
- 1st Source Corporation (SRCE) of South Bend, Ind. fully exited TARP, repaying the government $111 million, plus dividends of $678 thousand.
- Surrey Bancorp of Mount Airy, N.C. fully exited TARP, repaying the government $2 million plus dividends $12,222. The company also repurchased $100,000 in preferred shares the government obtained by exercising warrants, plus another $1,100 in dividends.
- Nationwide Bankshares of West Point, Neb. fully exited TARP, repaying the government $2 million plus dividends of $18,822. The company also repurchased $100,000 in preferred shares the government obtained by exercising warrants, plus another $1,687 in dividends.
- Haviland Bancshares of Haviland, Kan. repaid $425 thousand to fully exit TARP, plus $2,597 in dividends. The company also paid the government $21,000 to redeem preferred shares the Treasury had obtained by exercising warrants.
Philip van Doorn. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/PhilipvanDoorn. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV