In 2010, IGN's concentrated investing strategy has paid off. The fund has jumped 25% this year, beating out tech-focused funds with a broader reach such as the PowerShares QQQ (QQQQ).
Investors can access the smartphone industry through an international lens as well. A number of companies outside of the U.S. have a direct impact on the production of these popular gadgets and will thrive as they increasingly become staples of our everyday business and social lives.
The iShares MSCI Taiwan Index Fund (EWT) is one of the best international ETFs for following smartphone growth. Although the fund is designed to capture the strength of the broad Taiwanese economy, its performance is heavily reliant on the performance of the information technology sector.
Companies including Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSM), Hon Hai Precision, and HTC represent the fund's top three positions and make up a combined 26% of the fund's total index. All three play an essential role in creating various smartphone components and models.The smartphone industry looks promising and will likely be an exciting region of the market to watch in 2011. By utilizing funds such as IGN and EWT, investors can gain a front row seat to the sector's growth, and profit as more people around the world turn to these gadgets to stay connected. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV