Buying mining stocks can be a more risky but more profitable way to buy silver. Shares often come with as much as a 3:1 leverage to the spot price but leverage works both ways and typically miners lead on the way down and on the way up.
Nevertheless, silver stocks had a killer year in 2010. Global X Silver Miners ETF (SIL), a basket of silver stocks, has returned 88.88% since its inception on April 20, while silver prices rose 71% in the same time period.
The ETF comes with a 0.65% fee but gives investors exposure to a plethora of silver companies. The five largest U.S. traded companies are Silver Wheaton (SLW), Pan American Silver (PAAS), Silver Standard (SSRI), Hecla Mining, and Coeur d'Alene Mines (CDE).
So which makes the better investment: the ETF or the individual stocks? Here's a look at the basic financials on the five largest holdings in SIL that are publicly traded in the U.S., how the stocks have performed of late, and Wall Street's opinion of where the shares are headed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV