- New York Stock Exchange volume and price volatility dry up (see surprise No. 4 on the sideways market).
- Fox Business Network closes because of lack of interest.
- CNBC reduces its live broadcasting schedule and resorts to paid programming before 6 a.m. and after 8 p.m.
- Particularly hard-hit is Greenwich, Connecticut -- the home of many of the biggest hedge-hoggers who are alleged to have committed insider trading violations. The residential real estate market in Greenwich collapses.
Kass: 15 Surprises for 2011
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.