Gold for February delivery surged $22.70 to $1,405.60 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,407.20 and as low as $1,383.10 during Tuesday's session.
The U.S. dollar index was adding 0.19% to $80.40 while the euro was down 0.51% at $1.30 vs. the dollar. The spot gold price was jumping $21, according to Kitco's gold index.
Despite light volume because of the blizzard in the Northeast U.S. and what is basically a holiday week, gold was finding some last-minute direction headed into the end of the year. A sizable portion of Tuesday's pop was attributable to short covering and physical buying.The fact that gold prices held up after China hiked interest rates over the weekend triggered a flurry of short covering. Markets had been dreading this move for a while, so not only was the news already baked in but those betting against the gold price were left having to buy back positions at higher prices in the absence of a massive sell-off. On a fundamental basis, China's increase of just 25 basis points was relatively meager, and gold's jump suggests that investors don't believe the latest move will be enough to tame inflation in the country. Also, just the fact that inflation needs to be tamed in China is a relatively bullish sign for gold, unless China decreases spending significantly or raises rates more consistently or aggressively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV