Using data supplied by SNL Financial for publicly traded U.S. banks and thrifts - excluding those traded on the Pink Sheets - TheStreet has compiled year-end awards highlighting aspects of bank performance that may illuminate investment opportunities.
TheStreet has already published articles detailing which actively-traded bank and thrift stocks had the best and worst year-to-date total returns, as well as the names operating with the highest efficiency. All three of those lists include attractive opportunities for investors.
The award categories are for best and worst return in the following categories:Return on average assets (ROA) for the first three quarters of 2010. Growth of non-interest bearing deposits. Improvement of net interest margin for the first three quarters of 2010. Projected earnings growth for 2011 among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Price upside based on price targets among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Since two award categories are based on analyst coverage, we have narrowed down the list to banks and thrifts with average daily trading volume of at least 50,000 shares over the past three months. Here are the five losers among banks and thrifts with stocks trading below tangible book value:
TermsFor each of the 5 banks discussed on the following pages, we'll be looking at capital strength, earnings quality and asset quality. For an explanation of those terms you can click on the box below.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV