In short, the stock looks cheap with perhaps 50% or more upside, there is a Big 4 auditor and the potential for dividends. But given the presence of vocal short sellers, I would like to get further comfort on CCME's business before diving in. I hope to arrive at a conclusion in January, once I have had time to do some channel checks in China.
New Energy SystemsI have owed and written about NEWN off and on since it was a $2.00 stock on the OTCBB. Now it trades on a senior exchange at a price of $7.28 and has completed three major acquisitions. I have followed the stock fairly closely over the past two years and I had told myself that if I could buy in the $5.00 range, I would take a significant position.
During the summer of third-quarter 2010, the stock traded as low as $4.60, but investor sentiment (including my own) for this and every other China small cap, was so low that I chose to remain on the sidelines and not buy in. Within six weeks the stock hit a high of over $9.00, so I am kicking myself about my lack of conviction and missing the chance for a quick double on the stock.
Each time the company has made an acquisition, it has been done with stock or a combination of cash and stock, which I like because it means the target company "has some skin in the game" and, of equal importance, these acquisitions have not involved a public offering of stock, which often can crush the share price of a small-cap.NEWN recently raised guidance for 2010 to $1.40 per share and Rodman&Renshaw recently initiated coverage with a price target of $12.00. Despite these factors, NEWN still trades at $7.28 per share, which represents only 5x earnings. I believe that the primary issue holding the shares back is a lack of understanding of the most recent acquisition of Kim Fai Solar Energy Technology, which NEWN acquired for $24 million (with a combination of notes payable and stock) in November.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV