Blizzard of 2010 in Pictures: Travel Delays
(Blizzard 2010 story updated with information that JFK Airport is experiencing 5 hour delays, while Metro North, LIRR and NJ Transit have restored limited services.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Holiday travelers are stranded in airports along the East Coast as the winter snowstorm caused most airlines to cancel and delay flights and some airports to shut down completely.
New York's John F. Kennedy and LaGuardia airports shut down on Sunday after the region was hit with up to 15 inches of snow.
LaGuardia reopened at 4 p.m. on Monday, while JFK and Newark remained closed until 6 p.m., according to the FAA Web site.
Jet Blue (JBLU), US Airways (LCC), Delta Airlines (DAL) and Southwest Airlines (LUV) are still experiencing delays and cancellations at many east coast airports as crews try to clear runways of the accumulating snow.
The Weather Channel reported that snowfall was expected to diminish from south to north today, but strong winds of up to 60 miles per hour created significant blowing and drifting conditions that made driving and flying extremely difficult. Airport crews worked to remove the accumulating snow from the runways at all of the major airports along the coast. However, even though the snowfall has generally subsided, wind continues to hinder removal efforts by blowing snow back onto the tarmacs. Snow began falling in the southeast region of the U.S. on Saturday, and the storm moved up the East Coast Sunday into Monday. Winter weather advisories were announced along the coast in the face of blizzard conditions. Roads remained treacherous while Amtrak rail service experienced major delays and several cancellations. Click through the slideshow on the following pages for up-to-date information on today's transportation closings and cancellations, and to learn how the 2010 East Coast blizzard is affecting travelers throughout the nation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV