NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After-Christmas deals, private equity shopping for bargains, ETF explosion and best commodity trades for 2011 were hot topics among the "Fast Money" crowd on Thursday.
CNBC contributor Dennis Gartman said the global recovery is propping up crude oil futures. The black gold rose to two-year highs on Thursday, settling at $91.56 per barrel. Gartman said stronger oil prices mean the global economy is strong, and that's good for stock price growth as well.
For a breakout of some stocks from a recent "Fast Money" TV show, check out Dan Fitzpatrick's "3 Stocks I Saw on TV."
3 Stocks I Saw on TV
Melissa Lee said the price of oil will move higher in January and asked the group how to play the commodity. Karen Finerman said investors should go into USO. Anthony Scaramucci said BP (BP) is a final trade. It cut costs and built a big cash war chest, he said, and will likely reinstate its dividend next year. With oil at $100 per barrel, this is a good stock, he added. Gartman likes dividend-paying oil-related stocks like Chevron (CVX), Exxon Mobil (XOM), BP and SandRidge Energy (SD), and says demand for these names will grow as oil prices rise. Pete Najarian said hedge funds have exposure to base metals and oil, and the dollar is helping as is economic growth. Still, the Middle East peace conflict overhang could push oil to $120 next year. Melissa Lee brought up the recent run-up in gold prices and asked if a bubble was waiting to burst or if gold is the best new trade of the year. Gartman said that as more wealth is created around the world the gold market will rise. He doesn't like gold but said central banks are buying it and have reduced the supply. Still, he said gold is not a bubble but rather a currency trade, tapping the Market Vectors Gold Miners (GDX) ETF as an example.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV