NEW YORK(TheStreet) -- Financial stocks declined after the Irish government took control of Allied Irish Bank (AIB) and on conflicting signals of the U.S. economic recovery.
The Financial Select Sector SPDR (XLF) was down 9 cents at $15.90 at midday.
First Horizon National Corp. (FHN) was the big winner, up 4 cents at $11.79 on news that the bank had repaid Troubled Asset Relief Program.
The shares of the five other banks that recently announced they would repay TARP were mixed. Huntington Bancshares (HBAN) stock was down five cents at $6.79. Susquehanna Bancshares' (SUSQ) stock was down 14 cents at $9.97. Wintrust Financial (WTFC) shares were up 10 cents at $33.69. Heritage Financial Corporation (HFWA) shares were up a penny at $13.69. The Bank of Kentucky Financial Corp's (BKYF) shares slid 8 cents to $19.92.Meanwhile, shares of Hancock Holding Co. (HBHC) slipped 72 cents on concerns that the bank way paying too much in to acquire Whitney Holding (WTNY) in a $8.2 billion deal. Shares of American International Group Inc. (AIG) were down 38 cents at $55.38. The insurer is defending itself against a $1 billion workers' compensation lawsuit filed by Liberty Mutual Holding Co. and other rival insurers, according to Bloomberg. --Written by Maria Woehr in New York.
To contact the writer of this article, click here: Maria Woehr. To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/newsgirlmw. To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV