3 China Agriculture Stocks for 2011
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In 2011, agricultural commodities prices will depend on crop prospects, according to a Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) report. A sharp deterioration in crop outlook will affect price movements adversely. The FAO's index of 55 food commodities rose for the fifth straight month in November, touching two-year highs. Unless the global output of agricultural commodities improves in 2011, food prices will continue to spiral up, according to FAO.
Prices of agricultural commodities will rally next year, driven by rising demand from emerging markets, as per Rabobank Group. In addition, surging crude oil prices, depleting global food stockpiles and a weakening dollar may push prices higher.
If energy and food prices surge, it would raise the attractiveness of biofuels, made from farm commodities, pushing fertilizer prices higher. Down the value chain of commodities, any upward movement in energy prices affects sugar and corn prices.
A recent Chinese commerce ministry statement said as pressure mounts due to escalating prices and tight supplies, acquiring new supplies will play a key role in softening inflation and curbing speculation. For this, China has decided to tap international markets for sugar, cotton and meat, especially from India and the U.S., among others.While China's CPI closely correlates to food prices, the country recorded a 5.1% CPI growth in November, with food and household expenses contributing 92%. Among agricultural commodities, as grain prices increase, food production costs and beverage processing costs rise. We have identified three China agriculture stocks that will likely provide attractive returns to investors. These stocks are stacked base on upside potential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV