Futures Fall Following Data Deluge
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stock futures were pointing to a lower open Thursday after weekly jobless claims showed only a modest drop and personal spending rose less than expected.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were down 9 points at 11,559 and were 10 points below fair value. Futures for the S&P 500 were 2 points lower at 1,259 and were nearly 2 points below fair value. Nasdaq futures were down 6 points at 2,236 and were trading 4 points below fair value.
Investors have a deluge of economic reports to digest Thursday, even as they wait for a shortened trading week to come to a close.The Labor Department said initial jobless claims fell by 3,000 last week to a seasonally-adjusted 420,000. Economists were expecting claims to rise by 4,000 to 424,000 , according to consensus estimates from Briefing.com. But the mild drop failed to impress investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV