Futures Fall Following Data Deluge
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stock futures were pointing to a lower open Thursday after weekly jobless claims showed only a modest drop and personal spending rose less than expected.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were down 9 points at 11,559 and were 10 points below fair value. Futures for the S&P 500 were 2 points lower at 1,259 and were nearly 2 points below fair value. Nasdaq futures were down 6 points at 2,236 and were trading 4 points below fair value.
Investors have a deluge of economic reports to digest Thursday, even as they wait for a shortened trading week to come to a close.The Labor Department said initial jobless claims fell by 3,000 last week to a seasonally-adjusted 420,000. Economists were expecting claims to rise by 4,000 to 424,000 , according to consensus estimates from Briefing.com. But the mild drop failed to impress investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV