2. Weyerhaeuser (WY) is a forest-products company, which raises and harvests timber. It also has real estate development operations. It will be structured as a REIT, or real estate investment trust, an entity required to distribute the majority of income to shareholders, at the end of 2010.
Barclays believed that a "multi-year cyclical upturn in demand, prices and profits" began in 2010. Barclays believes the stock trades below the liquidation value of Weyerhaeuser's various assets, rendering it dirt-cheap. Its $29 target suggests 57% upside. Other researchers are more cautious. Five rate the stock "buy." Eight rate it "hold." Three rank it "sell."
1. AMR Corp. (AMR) owns American Airlines. Its stock has risen 2.3% in 2010. Barclays has a positive view of the airline industry, predicting record profitability in 2011. Specifically, it believes AMR has "the best cash flow and incremental earnings potential" among carriers. It expects higher cost reductions resulting from a re-fleeting program and greater cash flow generation than other researchers. It valued AMR's stock using a proprietary option valuation model and generated a target of $18, implying 127% of upside. Risks to this thesis include higher-than-anticipated jet fuel prices and failure to achieve unit cost reductions from re-fleeting.
Visit the Barclays' 30 Best Stock Picks Portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV