4. MEMC Electronic Materials (WFR) makes polysilicon and wafers for the solar energy and semiconductor industries.
Barclays believes that it will gain market share in the semi space in 2011 and its movement to bring wafering in-house will accelerate vertical integration in the solar business and boost margins going forward. With declining average-selling-prices and costs for wafers in 2011, earnings remain variable.
Still, the stock trades at nine-times Barclays' 2011 earnings forecast, a significant historical discount. In years past, its trading range has been 12 to 27 times Barclays' EPS estimate, so major upside is possible.
3. TCF Financial (TCB) is a Midwest bank with retail and wholesale banking businesses. Barclays notes that its seven-day branch operations and outstanding deposit base afford it a "best-in-class net interest margin." It has a strong leasing and equipment finance lease division, which will grow lending in 2011. Regulatory hurdles, including lower service fees stemming from the Dodd-Frank Act, present a potential headwind, which could damage its debit card fees anywhere from 20% to 80%. Still, TCF is an exceptionally well-run bank, with 62 quarters of consecutive profitability and higher-than-average capital ratios. Barclays projects a $22 share price, suggesting 51% of upside in 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV