Playboy Upgraded on Hef's Purchase Power
Miller believes that the stock price could continue to climb as company founder Hugh Hefner has the means to take the company private.
In July, Hugh Hefner proposed to acquire all outstanding shares at a purchase price of $5.50 a share. Hefner, who founded Playboy Enterprises in 1957, currently owns 69.5% of the company's Class A stock and 27.7% of Class B stock.
Playboy went public in 1971, but circulation and revenue have been down in recent years. Hefner's proposed deal values the company at $185 million.Miller says that Hefner is capable of paying $6.50 a share, which would be about a 28% premium over the current trading price of around $5.10. "Reliable sources on the ground are telling us that, not only does Mr. Hefner's bid now have the necessary financing at $5.50, but that the financing in question could allow Mr. Hefner to raise his bid to $6.50, offering 28% upside from current levels," Miller said in his Dec. 22 research note. Miller said that the company will benefit from new its new Playboy-themed resort in London, which he expects will open in July 2011. Shares of Playboy spiked in early morning trading to $5.24, but have since leveled out and are trading around $5.10. -- Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV