NEW YORK (TheStreet) - As the president of an auditing firm closely tied to Chinese companies traded in the U.S., Hamid Kabani faces a steady attack from short sellers hell-bent on proving conspiracy theories all about cooking the books.
Short sellers thrive on bad news, selling stock they have borrowed in hopes they can buy the shares back at a lower price and pocketing the difference. In many cases, they try to drive stocks lower by digging up dirt on the companies. They can be helpful as unofficial watchdogs, but clearly have an ax to grind, and are not infallible.
Kabani says criticism of his company is unfounded and unfair.
"This is a one-sided view that paints everyone relating to China as a villain," Kabani says. "Our problem is that we are in professional services. We don't want to start a mudslinging game with [short sellers] because we won't win."There certainly is plenty of mud flying in the other direction. The short sellers sling it on web sites, for the most part. They charge that auditors like Kabani are part of a network of investment professionals who get shaky Chinese companies listed on U.S. stock exchanges through tricks with reverse takeovers. The shorts claim that auditors, bankers, and stock promoters then cooperate to float dubious new issues of stock with misleading financial statements, bilking American investors while lining their own pockets -- and those of early investors -- with hundreds of millions in profits. Prominent on the shorts' list of suspect U.S. auditors are Kabani & Co., Frazer Frost, Goldman Kurland Mohidin, and Sherb & Co., among others. The shorts will sometimes target a reverse takeover company, or RTO, solely on the basis of checking who audited the company's financial statements filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. None of the auditor firms have faced formal charges of fraud.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV