United Solar Earns Certified Green Business Designation
ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich., Dec. 22, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- United Solar, a wholly owned subsidiary of Energy Conversion Devices, Inc. (Nasdaq:ENER) and a leading global manufacturer of light-weight, flexible thin-film solar modules, today announced it received the Certified Green Business designation.
"Our core research, development and manufacturing business is helping achieve a more environmentally-friendly planet by reducing the consumption of fossil fuels through the wider use of solar energy around the globe," said Mark Morelli, President and CEO of Energy Conversion Devices. "But it would mean nothing if we, as a business, were not serious about recycling and additional best practices for conserving and better using the earth's resources."
United Solar followed the certification requirements of the Institute for Green Business Certification, Inc. (IGBC) to achieve the "Certified Green Business" designation. United Solar demonstrated its outstanding commitment to the environmental health and well-being of the communities it serves, according to the Institute. Requirements for certification include leadership and commitment in recycling, water and energy conservation, waste reduction, pollution prevention, chemical usage reduction, proper handling of pollutants and environmentally friendly purchasing – as well as fulfilling the environmental elements of EPA and OSHA regulations.Examples of United Solar's recognized environmental leadership include:
- In 2009, its Greenville, Michigan facility recycled over 2 million pounds of metals, plastics and cardboard, saving more than 24 million BTUs and more than 800 trees.
- At its two Auburn Hills, Michigan plants, 125,000 pounds of cardboard were recycled in 2009 and 150,000 pounds in 2010, equivalent to saving 1194 cubic yards of landfill space – plus 6,103 gallons of oil were additionally saved.
CONTACT: Energy Conversion Devices Investor Relations Contact: Michael E. Schostak (248) 299-6063 firstname.lastname@example.org United Solar Public Relations Contact: Wendy Ventura (248) 293-0440 x6206 email@example.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV