NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Financial stocks firmly led into the black on Tuesday, fueled by M&A.
The Financial Select Sector SPDR (XLF) rose 1.6% to $15.79.
TD Bank (TD) agreed to acquire Chrysler Financial from Cerberus Capital Management for $6.3 billion. The bank is looking opportunistically for further deals in the U.S.However, it was regional bank stocks that stood out. The Keefe Bruyette & Woods Regional Bank Index (KRE) was up 2.6% at last check, to $25.94. Winners in the sector included Boston Private Holdings (BPRH), Associated Ban-corp (ASBC), Astoria Financial (AF), Cardinal Financial (CFNL) and East West Bancorp (EWBC). Webster Financial (WBS) shares were rising 1.4% to $18.74 after the Northeast regional bank priced a common stock offering of 6.63 million shares at $18 a pop. The proceeds will be used to repurchase preferred shares held by the U.S. Treasury Department under the Troubled Asset Relief Program. Webster follows in the footsteps of other regional banks in recent days looking to get out from the government's grasp including Huntington Bancshares (HBAN) and First Horizon (FHN). Financial losers of the day included MasterCard (MA), down 1.7% to $219.83 and BankAtlantic Bancorp (BBX) , down 12% to $1.07. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. To contact the writer of this article, click here: Laurie Kulikowski. To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV