Well, I guess that PCAOB took that to mean the case was closed. No action was taken against Sherb. Sherb's five current Chinese clients include China Education Alliance (CEU), which recently came under fire from a short-seller for having a nonfunctioning office and Web site.
The SEC oversees the PCAOB and the securities that get sold in this country. I believe the Commission needs to directly (or get the PCAOB to) audit these audit firms and shut them down if it finds they're operating in a "pay to play" manner. That's exactly what the SEC has done with Moore Stephens (although this fine and ban was for only one office of the company, not its entire network of offices).
If the SEC finds evidence of misrepresentations in these Chinese companies' financial statements (or disclosures around related-party transactions), it should seek to delist them. I believe the SEC also should force the exchanges to start asking more difficult questions before accepting these uplistings from the OTC.
If I worked at the SEC, I would begin by focusing on the following audit firms and their work in China:
- Frazer Frost
- Moore Stephens (not just the Orange County office but all of its offices)
- Kabani & Co.
- Sherb & Co.
- Child Van Wagoner & Bradshaw
- Marcum Josephson (formerly Stonefield Josephson)
- Alliott AGCA Inc.
- Jimmy CH Cheung & Co.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV