Gold for February delivery settled up $2.70 to $1,388.80 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,393 an as low as $1,381.40.
The U.S. dollar index was adding 0.19% to $80.76 while the euro was down 0.24% to $1.30 vs. the dollar. The spot gold price was rising $2, according to Kitco's gold index.
Gold prices might have started their long holiday weekend a little early this year as worries in the European Union, tension in the Koreas and end-of-year book- squaring did little to boost prices."Prices are probably going to remain flat," says Phil Streible, senior market strategist at Lind-Waldock. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV