Perkins Mid-Cap Value Fund (JMIVX) is a $13 billion fund with a 13.4% return this year. Co-managers Thomas Perkins and Jeffrey Kautz have been at the helm since August 1998 and navigated the fund to a 10-year, 10.8% return, which puts it in the top 3% in its category, according to Morningstar.
Its highly diversified portfolio includes 162 stocks with none at a larger weighting of 1.3%. The financial-services sector makes up 23% of the fund and among the largest holdings are the insurance firms Everest RE (RE), Allstate (ALL), Partner RE (PRE) and the asset-management firms Invesco (IVZ) and State Street (STT).The fund almost doubled its State Street stake in the quarter ended Sept. 30, buying 2 million shares, which makes it its fifth-largest holding. State Street is one of the largest trust banks worldwide, combining banking, asset servicing and asset-management operations. Its shares have gained 4.4% this year, bringing its loss over the past three years to 42%. The fund also initiated a new holding in the third quarter of TD Ameritrade (AMTD) by buying 7 million shares. TD Ameritrade has evolved into a diversified retail equities trading and asset management firm via recent acquisitions. Its shares are down 3.4% this year. In its top 10 holdings are the miners Goldcorp (G) and Freeport McMoRan (FCX).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV