1. Sprint Nextel (S) is the third wheel to wireless telecom giants Verizon and AT&T. However, it lacks their landline legacy businesses and has significantly less wireless market share. The former is a positive, the latter a negative that Sprint is working to overcome. As wireless and data come to dominate telecom going forward, Sprint's partnership with 4G WiMax and LTE builder ClearWire will remain of paramount importance. But, in recent weeks, ClearWire voiced a need for more capital. Sprint had solid quarterly customer adds, at 644,000.
Still, its service is considered inferior to the big two and margins are falling. The operating spread narrowed two points to 16% in the latest quarter. Also, churn is notably higher than that of the other two majors. Morningstar forecasts tepid sales growth of 3% through 2014. Its profit-per-customer is a clear opportunity for improvement. Verizon generates $280, whereas Sprint generates just $100. As the debt balance is high, Sprint has been neglecting capital expenditure to boost cash and pay down debt. This is an unsustainable strategy as investment is critical to Sprint's long-run viability.
Visit the 5 Turnaround Stocks Portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV